The judges for tonight’s final heat before next weeks grand final were Noele Gordon, Clifford Davis and Dickie Hurran. The acts they presided over were;
- St. Christopher’s Steel Band from Birmingham
- Clive Farrow (vocalist) from Bristol
- Roberto (acrobat) from Stourbridge
- Laura Richards (vocalist) from Scotland
- George Huxley’s Dixieland Jazz Band from Birmingham
- Pete Conway (comedian) from Stoke-on-Trent
The winner, as selected by the judges, was the, Birmingham based, George Huxley’s Dixieland Jazz Band, who will be back next week along with twelve other winning acts from the first series to compete in the first ever New Faces Grand Final.
Viewers vote winner Pete Conway (real name Peter Williams) from Stoke-on-Trent, was performing on the show just 49 days before his wife gave birth to their son. His son was born on 13 February 1974 and they called him Robert Peter Williams, he grew up to become a household name in nineties boyband Take That and had his own hugely successful solo career.
Pete returned to New Faces in the first heat of the second series in an episode that also featured other viewer vote winners.